Sunday, March 29, 2009

Pei Wei happiness

My friend Stephanie and I have had Pei Wei probably about 5 or 6 times in the past two weeks. Yesterday we actually tried to branch out by ordering something aside from the tofu teriyaki bowl with rice noodles (as in, we didn't branch away from the restaurant, but we tried to change up our choice of dish), and we enjoyed the new dish, but today we went back to the tried and true. It's sad and funny and also silly that I often wake up looking forward to lunch or dinner because I know that I'll get Pei Wei and that it'll be delicious. It's nice that there is something, however minor, that I can count on to make me if not happy then satisfied, even if just for the time period of a meal. I think more than anything it's funny.

As grad students with endless deadlines and obligations, I think we are forced to revert to depending on the "small things" in life to find an element of contentment. There are too many pressures involved for us to *not* simply find small ways to escape and be happy. To take a break. Yes, I might be struggling with a research proposal or with preparing my conference presentation, but I will use my chopsticks and eat my noodles and be happy.

No comments: