Sunday, September 16, 2007

facilitators

I'm a bit confused by this question. It seems that the obvious answer is that the teachers in ICON are facilitators of learning. Perhaps they are similar to the UWC in that when a student/client goes to the UWC, the tutors help the client in an "I'm on your side and want to help you do well" kind of way. Similarly, the teachers of ICON can play the good-guy card in they are not the primary graders and can phrase lessons in such a way that it really makes the students feel like the teacher is on their side to help them beat the graders. :) little do they know that it's all a big conspiracy...

3 comments:

Elizabeth Bowen said...

Ha! I like the conspiracy theory! I would like for you to share more with us about what the Writing Center is all about and how it can work with ICON/TOPIC. Hopefully we will all figure out how to be on the same page and give the same type of help to all students.

Good luck on Wednesday! :-)

L. Harvey said...

I like the conspiracy theory, too! I also felt a little confused by this prompt. It is difficult to discuss how we're facilitating in TOPIC because, honestly, I don't feel like I've had enough experience with it to have a good idea of how it's working. Maybe it'll get better/easier with time. *fingers crossed*

Ms. Armstrong said...

Interesting little conspiracy theory you have going there! What is the role of the DIs in this system? Are we facilitators? Are we just robots to the students? Where do we fit in? I have so many questions!

I, personally, think that we DIs are really similar to the UWC, but with a lot of disadvantages. We can't discuss the paper with the student before it is submitted, and we can't show them how to do things, only tell them. Sometimes I would really like to meet with a student and go over their work in GREAT detail with them.