Sunday, September 2, 2007

composition concepts

It is a bit difficult for me to choose the most important concepts to my teaching styles as I have never formally taught a class. I can surely forsee what would matter most to me, though. If we are to choose from the four concepts listed in the article "Philosophies of Composition," then I would have to choose all but mimetic.

Most important to me is the expressive. When one writes in expressively, then the content matters much to the writer, making it more enjoyable for any who read it. It is nearly impossible, I have found, to write about something that truly matters to oneself without having that sincerity come through the writing.

Rhetorical is next in importance; when one considers his or her audience and what the audience is anticipating to read, then the writing will be more relevant to the assignment given. This comes second to the expressive philosophy, but a very close second. A truly well-written work would be equally shared between the expressive and rhetorical theories.

Lastly, the formalist theory must come into play in concepts of importance to me simply because I love grammar and punctuation and the way they make our language clear. While a work without correct grammar might still be readable, the presence of grammatical correctness adds much to any writing. At times, one might not even notice when all is well grammatically speaking; however, when a work is plagued with errors, the ideas within the writing often become difficult to discern. It seems to me that a truly well-done piece (grammatically) is one where the punctuation and grammar are not even noticed. The role of grammar and punctuation is to make clear the communication being done, so when grammar and punctuation serve the writing appropriately, they should go unnoticed; the ideas within the writing will, therefore, be the main focus.

Although I listed the formalist theory last in level of importance, it would seem by the length which I spent on it that it is first. Perhaps it is, though I surely hope it isn't.

2 comments:

L. Harvey said...

I completely agree with your assesment of the various concepts. I, too, think that writing must be a combination of a variety of styles (and theories). I believe...and you seem to be saying, as well...that writing can't be complete without a mingling of expressive, rhetorical, and formalist elements.

Elizabeth Bowen said...

You have a good grasp of what is needed for a writer to be successful. I agree that the espressive theory is the most important, but that poor grammar can ruin the message one is trying to convey.