Saturday, February 7, 2009

sunshine :)

Weather is such a funny thing. Or perhaps. more appropriately, the effect of weather on people (at least on myself) is such a funny thing. It's truly remarkable the power to which it can affect my mood and resultant actions. I'd never survive in a place like Seattle (unless of course Edward Cullen really did exist and he was enamored with me instead of Bella, but I digress...). So, today, as with the past few days, I awoke to the wonder that is sunshine. In February. Nice, warm sunshine. Naturally, I was happy and eager to do anything involving said weather. And I enjoyed myself, driving with the sunroof open, lounging outside, and just generally soaking up the warmth.

Here's what's interesting. When the weather is wonderfully warm, I cannot bring myself to stay inside. Even worse, I have so much trouble concentrating on anything that isn't as light and warming as the sun that I generally am not productive, school-wise, on days like this. Yet, on days when the weather is dreary, rainy, etc., I also can't be productive because I get so bummed about the day. I feel listless and sad, and any work I do get done on these days inevitably has to be re-worked because my listlessness comes through.

Really, it's only on the cold but not snowy days that I am a fully productive student during the daytime. In the evenings, I am fine, despite what the weather, as my current blog time will exemplify, but my daytime work ethic depends much on the sun or lack thereof. I don't know if this is something particular to me or common to most. If the former, does that say something deeper about my status as a student or perhaps about my outlook? I'm not really sure. What I am sure of is that today was a beautiful day. Just wonderful.

1 comment:

Lindsey said...

Well, I completely agree about the Edward Cullen thing, but then again, I'm someone who could easily live in the northwest and not be bothered by any dreariness.
I think I'm less productive during rainy weather because I find it so relaxing that I just want to veg instead of the alternative. I'm usually productive in sunny weather and want to clean like crazy!